• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Electric Fan Swap, On The Cheap

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
As most of you know, my daily driver is a 1997 Chevy 1500 with a 5.7L (350) Vortec. I wanted to upgrade to electric fans to help the AC work better @ idle, and all of the other reasons to do so.

I know I am talking about a Chevy on a Toyota forum, but any car or truck that doesn't have electric fans can be up graded. The same principals apply no mater what make or model car or truck you have. Just measure your radiator, and go on the grate junk yard hunt for what is close to what you have.

I bought a set of electric radiator fans at pull-a-part, I got them off of a 2004 Cadillac DTS. They were about $30 with tax. I messed up, and also got a relay block with only 4 relays, it was $25 as they charged me for a fuse block with relays. I thought this was high,but had I bought 4 separate relays with the connectors, it would have been about the same price, so oh well.

I started digging though my junk boxes in my shed, and found plenty of wire to connect everything. I wired 2 of the relays ( one for each fan) and I activate these relays with a toggle switch on the dash.

This is wired on an ignition switched wire, so that the fans go off when the key is turned off. I have a thermo switch on order, and when it comes in, (next week I hope) I will install it in the thermostat housing. I bought an extra housing to do this with. I will weld a collar to fit the threads of the thermo switch when it comes in, and have this trip the relays so the fan comes on at 185 F, and off at 175F. I have a 170 degree thermostat in my truck. I taped into the AC compressor positive wire, and tied this into a 3ed relay. I tied this relay into the trip wire for the other 2 realys so that when the AC compressor kicks on , the fans will turn on also, but will not back feed the AC compressor so that the compressor would not come on when the fans come on from another source.

I ran 8 gauge wire to power the fans, and some small wire to trip the relays, about 14 gauge. I went to a local automotive audio shop and bought 2 large blade fuse holders for my positive supply wires. They were $10, All of the relay switch wires are fused, from the source where I tided them in.

I took the set up to work today, and built some custom stainless steel brackets to hold everything in place. I used the OE bolt holes that held the old fan shroud for the new stainless brackets that I fabbed up. I also had to do a little trimming on the DTS fan shroud to make the SST brackets fit them securely. Although the DTS shroud is about 4 inches shorter then the OE truck shroud, I just added a small piece of foam insulation to hold the DTS fan shroud off of the radiator a bout 1 1/2 inch so that air from the bottom 4 inchs of the truck radiator, had a way to flow. It seams to all work well so far.

So all of this cost me about $65. Keep in mind I had all of the wire laying around, and I am a certified welder. We do a lot of stainless steel work at the shop where I work. I have access to all of the equipment need to pull off a job like this. I used scrap stainless steel we had in the scrap bin. I also soldered and used heat shrink on all of the connections, except for the wire lugs I need to make the connections for power supply, or grounds, and I used some old copper line I had laying around to make the big lugs by flattening one end, and drilling a hole on that side. I also zip tied and used silicone to mount the relays in place.

Here are the pics.

20180519_183034.jpg
20180520_151046.jpg
20180525_105440.jpg
20180525_163305.jpg
20180525_163340.jpg
DSCN1625.JPG

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Thanks, I have a lot of work over a long time in the old Chevy. The 350 in it, runs as good as it looks. Its been and still is a grate truck.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Great write-up, thanks for sharing. Seems like electric A/C and Fans is going to be standard equipment on cars coming from the factory so I wonder if this will be a common resto-mod project moving forward for anyone updating a classic vehicle.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Great write-up, thanks for sharing. Seems like electric A/C and Fans is going to be standard equipment on cars coming from the factory so I wonder if this will be a common resto-mod project moving forward for anyone updating a classic vehicle.
Thanks Steve, I agree, if you have an old vehicle and want to improve your cooling - AC system, then an electric fan up grade is a grate improvement over the old clutch fan. You can buy a kit from several places, but they are expensive. With some elbow grease and a little time, you can save yourself a few hundred dollars.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I built a nipple for my temp sensor on the new thermostat housing Tuesday. I installed it tonight. As you can see, I spent some time over the weekend tapping up wires, My install is complete for the most part. I may add a light to the dash that comes on with the fans, to let me know that they are on. IDK yet. So my fans come on with the temp switch, with the AC compressor, and with the rocker switch on the dash. I left everything off, and let the new temp sensor turn the fans on, and the temp gauge stayed in the same spot as it always has. I let the truck run for a little while, and the fans went off, then after about 1 or 2 mins, they kicked back on. So I know the new temp sensor is working. I ordered the temp sensor off of e-bay. It was $25. As my relays are wired to come on with a positive input. I wanted to have the temp sensor do the same, and this is why the temp sensor has 2 connectors on it.
20180529_102741.jpg
20180530_201001.jpg
20180530_201024.jpg
20180530_201051.jpg
20180530_201151.jpg
20180530_201242.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Talking about adding lights to the dash, can you hear the fan when it turns on?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
N
Talking about adding lights to the dash, can you hear the fan when it turns on?
they are very quite. If the hood is closed, I can't even hear them standing next to the fender. I thought a dummy light on the dash may be a good idea. The temp gauge is not something I am used to keeping a close eye on. I have to admit that so far I am very happy with the swap. A little more power,
and it looks like a little better fuel mileag, and the AC is ice cold. Even just sitting there the AC gets cold. The truck never did that before.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, this is a big positive move in the automotive world going electric on the elements. Cutting the noise down must have been an engineers project for a year.

"Johnson, you better figure out how to get that electric fan to be quieter we are gonna be tossed out. You hear me? Johnson!" ... something like that

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I figured being they are Cadillac fans, GM probably put a good quality, quiet set of fans in those cars. I guess I was rite.

I'm very happy with the swap, and recommend an electric fan swap to anyone who is thinking about it. I was a little worried about the 105 amp alternator keeping up, but that has not been an issue.

That being said, I do have the big 3 upgrade, and I am sure that is why the alt can keep up. For the big three up grade, you add 1 new charging wire with a fuse from the alt , back to the battery positive 1 new wire from the back of the alt to the negative post on the battery. and a negative wire from the battery to the frame of the truck.

I went the extra mile, and added 2 more ground wires. 1 to the engine block, and 1 to my cab. I used #2 welding lead for this, and a 125 amp fuse. I noticed an improvement in my alt gauge, and the speed of the wipers and several other things rite away.

This is a popular up grade for subs and amps, but helps your alt work a lot better. Guess I need to do a write up on that too.

Last edited by a moderator:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Thought I would up date this thread. I filled up this morning. Looks like I am getting a little better MPGs. About 1/2 mile a gallon. The engine also has more pep. Not any huge gains, but gains non the less. The biggest reason I did this swap, was for the AC to work better, and it does. The truck cools off faster, and will get cold just sitting in the drive way. It doesn't get warn sitting at a long red light, or the line at Popeyes, or McDonlads, or whatever any more. The AC was always cold driving 70 MPH down the road, but now it is also cold while driving around town, in stop and go traffic. My trucks alternator is the OE 105 amp alt. If anyone is considering this swap, should know that you will also need to do the big 3 up grade so that the alt can keep up with the extra demand on the charging system. I have a write up on the big 3 up grade on this forum.

Related Content You Might Like: