• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Fixed my garage door for $35

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Garage door got off track then buckled. It's a 16 year old thin gauge door that was already repaired once.

Called a couple of guys out because of the heat. They wanted $800 for a new door and track or "a couple hundred" to fix what I have.

The problem was a broken corner in a panel and it made that panel dip down and buckled when it tried to close.

So i took a look at the existing panel support strut, and fashioned one out of a $31 piece of 8' x 1" right angle steel. Drilled out about half a dozen self-tapping metal screws and replaced them with 5/8 bolts with bits.

End result is the sag went away, door doesn't creak as much now and wife is happy.

But the temp was so high I must have lost 5 lbs of sweat. The thermometer failed, hit its max temp. I'm guessing 130.

20190812_210022.jpg

Essentially my 2nd panel was dropping down and buckling under it's own weight. This caused the door to stop closing (never had a problem opening up) and I had to push it up about 4 inches to get it to close.

I added the 8' 90-degree slotted angle steel piece to give support all along that side of the panel.

20190812_210114.jpg

Really I just unscrewed the screw-bolts and put the piece underneath and added the screws back in.

20190812_210124.jpg

The result is that side of the garage door is fully supported across that side of the door. It doesn't sag anymore. It also helped that I added in bolts on the right side.

20190812_210135.jpg

Yes, I was drenched with sweat after 45 minutes in the garage.

20190812_210055.jpg

Tada! Hopefully it will last a few years.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: